So a few months back I was lucky enough to score tickets to the premiere of "The Drifter", Rob Machado and Taylor Steele's film project. More of an actual movie with a fictional story line, laced with the smooth stylings of Machado gracefully weaving through heaving Indonesian barrels. Machado's quest for solitude and discovering meaning to life or something, while he explored remote parts of Indonesia on a little vintage Honda motorcycle. Check out the post I did on it HERE. The movie was a bit of a gamble. Machado personally funded the production of the film and apparently it was as warmly accepted in surf society as Shane Dorian's "In God's Hands" (not well). For the most part, surf films try to avoid story line... It's about as pointless as a plot in a porno. We just want innovative camera angles, progressive surfing and a unique soundtrack. Throw in a couple exotic, undiscovered or previously disregarded surf destinations and the film will satisfy. So, to make up for the lack of actual surfing in "The Drifter", they compiled all the unused surf footage into an actual surf movie: Melali - Drifter Sessions. The surfing is of course ridiculous (can't fail with Slater & Dane) and Machado along with old friend Jon Swift, wrote and performed most of the score, which is actually pretty cool. Anyways, I'm sure Melali will be added to my video library shortly.
- ► 2011 (70)
- Rip Curl Pro Search Puerto Rico _ STARTS TOMORROW!...
- Made by hand
- Happiness is warm BMW - Part II
- Dreaming in Black & White- Sara Eileen
- Tsunami Wipes out Indo Surf Camps & Boats
- Pieces of the Pie - Rubber
- Machines - Beauty in the eye of the innovator
- KELLY WINS Rip Curl Pro!!! - 10th World Title in t...
- Rip Curl Pro- Finals Approaching - World Title loo...
- Melali - The Drifter Sessions
- Powder-Powered... No, not that kind of powder-powe...
- MotorSurfing - WWII Style
- To keep you frothing through the weekend: Miike Sn...
- QR Code - Take a picture/Scan it
- Hump Day
- Cannonball lands in my backyard... kinda
- Surfland - Joni Sternbach Photography
- ▼ October (17)